Yr 3: Swimming Lessons
These lessons are a compulsory part of the National Curriculum. The minimum requirements for children at SRG at the end of KS2 are:
- Swim 25 metres using breaststroke, front crawl and back crawl
- Swim wearing a t-shirt and shorts (or similar)
- Tread water wearing a t-shirt and shorts (or similar)
- Swim on your front using any recognised stroke wearing a t-shirt and shorts (or similar)
- Enter the water with a straddle entry wearing a t-shirt and shorts (or similar)
- Remove additional clothing while in the water without touching the pool bottom or sides
- Have a thorough knowledge of water safety
- Demonstrate a safe and effective, non-contact reaching rescue on a subject positioned in deep water at least 2 metres from the poolside. Secure the subject in a safe position at the poolside
- Throw a buoyant aid to land within reach of a subject positioned in the water 3 metres from the poolside, instruct the subject to hold aid and kick legs to reach side, and then secure the subject in a safe position at the poolside.
The sessions will be every day from Monday 4th to Friday 15th March 2024.
Please make a note on your calendar of these dates, so that the children remember to bring their swimming kits to school every day. Could children please wear track suit bottoms and their school hoodie to aid changing.
We would request that:
- Shoulder length or long hair should be tied up
- All swim shorts must be above the knees
- We ask for girls to wear one-piece costumes
- We recommend all jewellery to be removed prior to the lesson.